Board Minutes - 18 October 2010
Meeting of the .au Domain Administration Board
18 October 2010 - 12.30pm
Maddocks. Level 7, 140 William Street. Melbourne VIC 3000
Tony Staley (Chair), Kim Heitman, Chris Disspain, Julie Hammer, Graham McDonald, Dwayne Varey, Josh Rowe, Marty Drill, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Amin Kroll, George Pongas and Rosemary Sinclair
John Higgins (Nexia ASR), Peter Nettlefold (DBCDE), Tristan Kathage (DBCDE), Jo Lim (auDA), Jacki O’Sullivan (auDA-Minutes) and Derek Whitehead (item 8)
There were no apologies.
2. Continuous Disclosure
• C Disspain advised of his appointment to the ICANN Board and resignation as Chair of the ICANN ccNSO commencing June 2011.
• George Pongas advised of his appointment at AusRegistry as the .au Services Manager and subsequent divestment of all positions and interests in other Registrars.
The Chair formally congratulated C Disspain on his appointment to the ICANN Board.
3. Confirmation of August 2010 Minutes
The minutes of the 16 August 2010 Board meeting were confirmed.
4. Election of Chair
The Vice Chair called for nominations for the position of Board Chair.
Nominated: Tony Staley (moved J Rowe, seconded G McDonald).
Elected: Tony Staley (unopposed).
5. Election of Vice Chair
The Chair called for nominations for the position of Board Vice Chair
Nominated: Kim Heitman (moved C Langdon-Orr, seconded M Drill).
Elected: Kim Heitman (unopposed)
6. Reconstitution of Board Committees
The Board agreed that any Board Committees would be maintained status quo until further advice.
7. Policy Development
2010 Names Policy Panel:
• Derek Whitehead, chair of the 2010 Names Policy Panel, provided a summary of the status and issues to date. The Panel anticipates a discussion paper will be issued for public comment prior to the December Board meeting.
• D Whitehead advised that the Australian Computer Society submitted a nomination for the Panel that was not received at the time due to an email error. As there is a vacancy caused by Adrian Kinderis’ resignation, DW proposed the appointment of the ACS nominee Philip Argy to fill the vacancy.
• Resolution: That the Board appoints Philip Argy to the 2010 Names Policy Panel (proposed T Staley, seconded by the Board): Carried.
8. Finance Report
• The Board noted the September 2010 accounts.
• Due to the good current US$ exchange rate, various options were discussed regarding the auDA US$ account. C Disspain & J Higgins will discuss the options further and provide further details for the Board to consider.
9. CEO Report
• The CEO report was noted.
• The Board formally acknowledged the thank you email and excellent feedback received for Adam King for his work on the Cyberstorm exercises. The Board formally endorsed the CEO responding and acknowledging Adam King on its behalf.
• J Hammer noted the excellent work done by auDA Staff on production of the 2010 Annual Report.
• A Kroll noted the excellent work and judging process put in place for the Best Practice Awards.
10. Membership Applications
The membership applications below were approved in the classes indicated:
• Andrew Sykes (Demand)
• SWIM Communications (Supply)
• PetRescue Ltd (Demand)
• White Dog Green Frog (Supply)
• Anna Johnson (Demand)
• Richard Green (Demand)
• Shane Moore (Demand)
• Kevin Karp (Demand)
• PSS Internet (Supply)
• StudentNet (Demand)
• Atlantis Media Pty Ltd (Demand)
• Steven Baxt (Demand)
11. Board Correspondence
There was no Board correspondence.
12. Other Business
• The DBCDE representatives advised other Government agencies have expressed interest in DNSSEC and requested the Board’s approval to give the agencies a copy of the DNSSEC Implementation Strategy provided to the Board previously. The Board agreed the CEO would confirm this with the SSAC and advise DBCDE.
13. Next Meeting
The next Board meeting will be held on Monday 13 December 2010 in Melbourne.