Board Minutes - 17 June 2013
Meeting of the .au Domain Administration Board
17 June 2013 - 11.00am
.au Domain Administration Limited. 114 Cardigan Street. Carlton VIC 3053
Tony Staley (Chair), Julie Hammer, Josh Rowe, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, George Pongas, Kartic Srinivasan, Paul Levins, Graham McDonald, Stuart Benjamin, Erhan Karabardak, Joe Manariti, Chris Disspain
John Higgins (Nexia Australia), Adrian Kinderis (AusRegistry – Item 6), Maggie Whitnall (AusRegistry – Item 6), Jo Lim (auDA), Jacki O’Sullivan (auDA–Minutes)
Keith Besgrove (DBCDE), Peter Nettlefold (DBCDE), Annaliese Williams (DBCDE)
- Continuous Disclosure
• Erhan Karabardak advised he has incorporated a new company, CooperMills DBS Pty Ltd, which is a reseller for auDA Accredited Registrar, Domain Shield.
• Graham McDonald advised he has recently been appointed to the Government’s new Anti-Dumping Review Panel.
- Confirmation of April 2013 Minutes
• The minutes of the 22 April 2013 Board meeting were confirmed.
- Finance Report
• The Board noted the May 2013 accounts.
- Budget 2013-2014
• The Board considered the 2013-2014 budget which was endorsed by the Finance Committee.
• Motion (proposed G McDonald, seconded J Hammer): That the Board approve the 2013-2014 budget.
- CEO Report
• The CEO report was noted.
• The 2013 AGM and October Board meeting have been rescheduled to Tuesday 15 October, immediately prior to the auIGF scheduled for 16-17 October. Further details will be provided to the Board in due course.
- AusRegistry Presentation
• Adrian Kinderis-CEO and Maggie Whitnall-Client Services Manager-.au, attended from AusRegistry and gave a presentation on the stability, maturity and growth of the .au Namespace.
- Board Committee Updates
Finance & Audit Committee:
• The Committee meeting minutes of 13 June 2013 were approved for publication.
• Domain Name Licence Periods briefing paper: The Board discussed the circulated briefing paper in relation to the 2010 Names Policy Panel’s outstanding recommendation to change the .au domain name licence period from the current fixed 2 year period to a variable 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 year period.
• Motion(proposed G McDonald, seconded C Langdon-Orr): That the Board accept the Finance Committee’s recommendation: 1) not to adopt the Panel’s recommendation at this time, and 2) to reconsider the Panel’s recommendation, in light of prevailing market conditions and a detailed financial analysis, as part of preparations for the registry tender process scheduled for 2017.
Governance, Board Succession & Remuneration Committee:
• The Committee meeting minutes of 6 June 2013 were approved for publication.
• The Committee advised the formal written response to DBCDE re; ‘Protocols’ for the management of Australia’s extra-territorial ccTLD’s had now been sent.
• The Director Exit interviews summary report and recommendations were discussed. The Board agreed the process of Exit interviews was valuable and the practice would be retained. The Board agreed the following points in response to issues highlighted by the Committee:
- Additional time for policy discussion would be allocated at Board meetings as required.
- An ICANN debriefing would be held at the Board meeting after each ICANN meeting.
- 1:1 briefing for new Board members on current issues would be provided by the CEO/Chair.
Strategic Risk Committee:
• The Committee meeting minutes of 22 April 2013 (public version) were approved for publication.
• It was agreed that the Risk Committee would monitor action items for Board consideration to ensure items were allocated on Board agendas for review as required.
• There were no membership applications.
• Final current year membership renewals are due 30 June 2013. The CEO will provide a report on renewals at the August Board meeting.
- Board Correspondence
• There was no Board correspondence.
- Other Business
• Opportunities for a Regional Board meeting are still being investigated and will be reported on in due course.
- Next Meeting
• The next board meeting will be held on Monday 19 August 2013 at 11.00am at the auDA office.