31 October 2000
120 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
Present: Evan Arthur, Steve Fielding, Brandon Gradstein, Rowan Groves, Tony Hill, Keith Inman, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Jo Lim, Christine Page-Hanify, Cliff Reardon, Josh Rowe, Cathy Thawley, Derek Whitehead,
Ross Wilson, Michael Wolnizer
Teleconference: Philip Argy, Kitty Davis, Odette Gourley, Stuart Hamilton, Ian Johnston, Daniel Rechtman, Peter Reynolds, Leanne Schultz, Galen Townson
Apologies: Sandra Davey, Mark Davidson, Ian Halliday, Steve Pretzel, David Purdue, Tony Serong, Anthony Wyatt
- DW and JL to draft minutes from meeting.
- DW and JL to revise draft Stage 2 report and circulate to the Panel via the closed list, with a short deadline for comments.
- DW and JL to consider additional distribution mechanisms for the public consultation process, and add identified organisations and individuals to the circulation list.
Draft Stage 2 report
1. The Chair and secretariat will revise the draft Stage 2 report and circulate it to the Panel via the closed list with a short deadline for comments. Following approval, the report will be released for public consultation for a minimum of 21 days.
Public consultation process
2. The Chair and secretariat will consider additional distribution mechanisms for the Stage 2 report, and add identified organisations and individuals to the circulation list.
3. The next Panel meeting was scheduled for 28 November 2000, but will be deferred to 12 December 2000, in Sydney.
1 Confirmation of 26 September Minutes
Panel members confirmed the minutes from the meeting on 26 September 2000, previously circulated via the closed list.
2 Draft Stage 2 report
Panel members discussed the revised draft Stage 2 report. The Panel thanked Ian Johnston for his paper outlining alternative proposals regarding generic and geographic domain names.
A number of editorial suggestions were made, along with more substantive comments including:
- clarify definition and context for use of 'open' and 'closed' 2LDs
- change 'stop list' to 'reserve list'
- apply Schedule A to entire report, not just section 4, and add reference to reserve list
- clarify purpose of statutory declaration in Schedule A
- add Schedule B outlining a decision-making tree(s)
- include proposal 5.2 from Ian Johnston's paper
- consider including material from 'Moving Names Around' working group report, as part of section 4
- move proposal on domain name licence renewal periods to section 4
- invite public comment on retrospectivity and dispute resolution proposals.
Odette Gourley volunteered to provide some text on trade mark rights (including a definition for the glossary). Daniel Rechtman volunteered to provide some text on the need for domain name policies to be technically feasible and able to be applied consistently by all registrars.
3 Public consultation process
Panel members were advised that the auDA Advisory Panel Procedures require an initial public consultation period of 21 days minimum.
The Panel noted the proposed circulation list and suggested a number of additional organisations and individuals, including:
- Australian Local Government Association
- ICANN secretariat
- ICANN At-Large membership
- indigenous groups
- Law Council of Australia
- Kate Lundy
- National Farmers' Federation
- Online Council officials
- OZ-ISP mail list
- Natasha Stott-Despoja.
Panel members also agreed to circulate the report among their own constituencies.
In order to fully accommodate the public consultation period, it was agreed that the next Panel meeting will be deferred until 12 December.
4 Coordination with Competition Model Advisory Panel
Panel members were advised that there will be a meeting in November involving the three Panel chairs, four common Panel members and the secretariat, to discuss areas of overlap and possible coordination mechanisms.